My life was forever changed on Thursday, August 16, 2012. I woke up at 4:00 am with contractions. This was the first time the discomfort/pain did not go away. I timed the contractions to be about 7-8 minutes apart. I got out of bed and ate some toast and bounced on a yoga ball. The contractions kept coming. I sent a text message to my sister and sister-in-law at 5:30am that today might be the day. Rick was still asleep at this point. I decided to take a quick shower. Rick woke up around 6:00am while I was getting out of the shower. By 7:00, the contractions were 5 minutes apart and getting more painful. I began feeling sick and threw up. I called my doctor. He asked me to describe how I was feeling and then told me to go in to the hospital to get monitored. Rick & I arrived at the hospital at 8:00am. I was sent to triage. I was dilated to 4 cm. Definitely very uncomfortable during contractions and having some bleeding. While I was in triage, my sister-in-law, sister and her husband, and my doula arrived at the hospital. They were not able to see me in the triage room, but I was able to get up and walk to the waiting room after being monitored for awhile. I was admitted into a labor and delivery room about 9:30am.
Once I was admitted, I sat in the jacuzzi tub for awhile. This really helped the back pain that I was feeling go away in between contractions. Rick and Heidi (doula) were at my side while I was in the tub. Rick brought in a sonogram picture that I was planning to use as a focal point. I looked at the picture sometimes, but for whatever reason, I found myself really focusing on the faucet in the bathtub during contractions. I got out of the tub after a bit to be monitored. I was now dilated to 6cm. I felt sick and threw up again during this time. After monitoring, I got back into the tub. I'm not sure how much time had passed, but it didn't seem like I was in the tub too long the second time. I began feeling a lot of pressure. My goal was to have a natural birth without an epidural. I remember saying several times "I don't think I can do this." Heidi suggested that I should get out to get checked again. I was 8 cm! I labored on my side in the bed for a short time. Heidi had a visitor tag on her shirt with my room number. I focused on the numbers during my contractions. Rick helped by putting pressure on my back and giving me music to listen to. Soon I was at 9 1/2 cm. I had a definite urge to push. I had to keep blowing through the feeling because I wasn't quite to 10cm and my doctor had not yet arrived at the hospital.
When he arrived, I was ready to begin pushing. At first, it felt good to push as it relieved all the pressure I had been feeling. But I could definitely tell when the head started to crown. It was the most intense, painful thing I have ever felt and I definitely wanted it to be over! Rick counted in my ear and that helped me get through each push. I would rest for a short time in between until I felt the urge to push again. I really had no concept of time or what was going on around me. But I was told it took only about 35 minutes of pushing. It was a very fast labor and delivery for a first baby!
Rick watched our son being born. Aunts Mandy & Jenny watched from the side. Hudson was placed on my chest when he was out. Rick cut the cord. I can't begin to describe the amazing feeling that came over me. Our dreams had finally come true. We were parents!!
I doubted my ability to give birth without an epidural, but I did it! And I would do it again. Hudson was born so alert and healthy. I couldn't have asked for anything more.
Serving 16 Sweet 16 Tennis Club Party
-
Sweet 16 tennis party with pink and green decor, poolside backdrop, custom
treats, and stylish Serving 16 party details.
The post Serving 16 Sweet 16 Ten...
3 months ago


2 comments:
You did awesome. Congrats to you and your growing family. :)
I don't think I ever read Hudson's birth story. So awesome! I didn't realize you had a doula, either.
Post a Comment